Thursday, December 1, 2011

My Sweet Grandma


My mom has taken care of my Grandma Ruth, who is her mother, for 10 years. My Grandma has dementia so it is not an easy task, as you can imagine. My Grandma started getting dementia when she was only 65 years old.


I was about 4 at the time. I don't remember my Grandma having a clear mind. As the years went on it got worse and worse. After time she needed to use the wheel chair, then didn't talk much and this last summer my sweet Grandma I could tell was in pain. She couldn't walk, we had to lift her to her wheel chair, the bed, the toilet or wherever needed.


My Grandma passed away on the 21st of November which is almost 10 years to the day that my Grandpa passed away. I know that she is resting in peace and having a wonderful reunion with her husband and parents. We all miss her, especially my mom. It will be something new for her, my Dad and my amazing little sister Shanna to not have to put their little "baby" to bed every night and wake her up every morning. I don't think they know what to do now that they don't make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches everyday. and No more cheerios and bananas :(


I have always loved hearing stories from my Mom and Dad, my Aunts and Uncles, my older cousins and just random people who knew my Grandma before she got dementia. She was the most loving kind lady ever! She always made sure everyone felt welcomed and comfortable when they were around her, she was very charitable, (I know where my mom got it) and she made life a little better for everyone she came in contact with.


Since she lived with us for 10 years, (since I was in 6th grade) me and my Grandma did come to form a strong relationship. Maybe not the one that we would of if she didn't have dementia, but we had one. My sisters and I may have teased her a time to many- but she made us laugh :) I think she now understands and is probably laughing too! We LOVED our Grandma.



My sweet Mother. She is someone I will forever be grateful to, she taught me patients (which I am still working on) and to love. Only an amazing women could do what my mom did for 10 years. She is my hero and I can't wait to get home to Idaho to be with her for a couple weeks.

 And my little sister Shanna, I bet not very many people know how truly amazing this girl is. She was definitely a choice spirit and came at the time she did for a reason. She has such a big heart and is so loving. Shanna helped my mom the most and I know how hard it was and I never could have done it as well as her. She didn't complain much and she always talked to my Grandma in a kind voice. Being the youngest child, Shanna has spent a lot of time with our Grandma- and Shanna will be so blessed for her work. What an incredible loving person she is.


We all love and miss our Grandma. I'm glad she got to spend 9 days with us before she passed away. We know she is in a better place and so much happier.


Our Thanksgiving was great.
We went to Camarillo and spent 5 days there.
shopping.
going to the movie.
and enjoying our family time.
We had a wonderful Thanksgiving and we are so grateful for each other and the amazing families we were blessed with. 




3 comments:

  1. Your grandmother looks beautiful even at her age. I'm glad that your family took care of her for the last years of her life despite her condition. It's never easy taking care of a loved one who suffers from a condition like hers. Your mother is a very strong woman indeed. I hope all is well with your family now.

    Heal at Home

    ReplyDelete
  2. What makes taking care of elderly hard is the emotional trauma. Separation and letting go of a loved one is never easy, especially if you have grown closer to them. There's nothing we can't do with love. I'm happy that your family chose to take care of your grandmother no matter how challenging it may seem.

    -Vonda Cheney @ AmberCare

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! Suffering dementia at the age of 65 is kinda early. Anyway, leaving that topic, it’s good to hear that you were able to create strong bond with her despite her condition. It just proved how strong your love for her is.

    Demetrius Flenaugh

    ReplyDelete